Energizing classroom learning
STEMworks™ Energy (formerly known as Island Energy Inquiry™) is the first energy education program designed for Hawai‘i teachers. A certified three credit PDE3 professional development course designed for Hawaii teachers that combines scientific content, methodology, and engineering design processes aligned with NGSS and Common Core Standards, STEMworks Energy provides the curricula, training, lab tools, lending libraries and resources to ensure student engagement and success. Hands-on K-12 student labs grow core math and science principles with skills to understand and solve the state’s energy issues. Participating educators gain access to:
- K-12 print and digital curriculum
- Kit of Renewable Energy/Sustainability Lab Aids
- Access to statewide Lending Libraries to support classroom engagement
- Complimentary download of Clean Energy Hawaii STEM scientific inquiry iPad companion app
- Access to STEMworks™ Energy virtual reality (VR) companion app – an immersive interactive virtual reality (VR) experience, meant to augment the STEMworks™ Energy curriculum (hands on scientific inquiry and engineering design labs) that students explore in the classroom.
The immersive VR adds to the hands-on labs with the intent of making their classroom studies “real” by exploring related career pathways and being immersed in what it looks, sounds and feels like to be “on the job site”, while also learning content that is locally based by nationally aligned to grade level standards. Experiences are further expanded and aligned to augment STEMworks™ career pathways through an immersive mock interview that prepares students with how a professional interview looks and feels. The combination of touring a local industry, learning first hand from career professionals and then experiencing real interview questions, exposes students to local STEM opportunities while also preparing them for STEM pathways.
For more information on STEMworks™ Energy, contact: Melinda White, email@example.com, 808.875.2332.