WHAT: Ka Hei PD Workshop featuring Island Energy Inquiry and Defined STEM (download flyer here)
DATES: March 21-22, 2017
Plus Two (2) Required online Follow-on Sessions (Dates TBD)
TIME: 9 am – 4 pm
LOCATION: Hawai’i Island (TBD depending on interest)
REG FEE: $20 (fully refundable upon full attendance)
LUNCH: Breakfast snacks & lunch included both days!
Preliminary registration link here*: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KaHei_MAR17
*please note that completing the surveymonkey.com form does not guarantee reservation in the PD, the team will follow up with educators selected for the workshop based on relevance to grade level and interaction with the Ka Hei program as a whole.
KA HEI PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP DETAILS
During the two-day workshop, educators will receive hands-on training in fundamentals of renewable energy including light, photovoltaic, solar heating, energy conservation & audit lessons, and more using inquiry science methodology. They will also be introduced to Defined STEM, an online 21st century learning platform that provides standards-aligned (HCPS III, Common Core & NGSS) performance tasks, literacy tasks, and real-world videos, enabling students to see the relevance of K-12 topics through real-world careers and themes. Click here for Day One preview of the Ka Hei IEI Workshop Series (video courtesy of the Pōmaikaʿi Elementary School Ka Hei IEI cohort educators).
By participating in the two-day workshop series, qualified teachers will receive
· An Island Energy Inquiry™ (IEI) curriculum guide aligned to HCPS III and Common Core standards
· An opportunity to earn three (3) PDE3 credits OR a $200 stipend
· An IEI kit of in-class lab aids
· Full access to the IEI website and resources (www.islandenergyinquiry.org)/(www.islandenergyinquiry.com)
· Full access to the IEI Equipment Libraries
· Full access to Defined STEM website and resources
· An opportunity to engage with local industry renewable energy professionals to receive the latest information on technologies, to be able to make the connection from classroom to industry application, and to learn more of the career opportunities available in the energy sector
· On-going support to complete classroom implementation (WebEx follow-on required)
For more information regarding the Ka Hei program, please contact Victoria Suarez at email@example.com or 808.600.9444. For more information regarding Island Energy Inquiry™, please contact course instructors: Graham DeVey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 808.270.6804 or Melinda White at email@example.com or 808.875.2332.